The city of Gilroy, California, is centrally located at the southern gateway to Silicon Valley and is proud to be “A Community with a Spice for Life.” The city of Gilroy is named after John Gilroy, a Scottish pioneer who arrived in California in 1814. He settled in the Santa Clara Valley and married Maria Clara Ortega.
Local councils are the basic unit of the Knights. Most are based in parishes, though some have their council hall within a community. Each local council works to assist with the needs of its community in a way consistent with the principles of the Order. A Knights of Columbus council can work wonders; its many programs can help change the community, town, city, or neighborhood in which you live. However, a successful Knights of Columbus program depends on people taking the initial idea, modifying it to suit specific situations and local needs, and then implementing the program in the way it works.
Each local council evaluates the needs of their community and implements those programs and activities that are most needed in their area. The Knights of Columbus Faith in Action Programs are designed to engage the council members in various activities across various categories.
St. Mary’s Parish in Gilroy was founded in 1865 by Fr. Thomas J. Hudson. Fr. Hudson’s successor, Reverend Patrick J. Hennessey, joined with W.G. Fitzgerald and A.J. Kelly in organizing Gilroy Council No. 2469, instituted on April 22, 1923, by Past State Deputy David Supple. The first council members consisted of the following catholic gentlemen.
- Grand Knight Walter G. Fitzgerald
- Deputy Grand Knight A.J. Kelley,
- Chancellor J.H. Hines,
- Warden W.L. Cullen,
- Recorder W.G. Hines,
- Financial Secretary H. Gurries,
- Inside Guard Beri Rice,
- Outside Guard Joseph M. Walsh,
- Lecturer P.L. Noll,
- Advocate J. Delcommun,
- Chaplain Reverend Patrick J. Hennesey.